I am quite excited to share this recipe Flax seeds and dry fruits laddu is a healthy munch for all ages filled with great nutrient values.
Flax seeds (Agase) are commonly used for preparing dry chutney powder usually served with jollada rotti and also popular in Mediterranean diet. Even in western countries it’s getting quite popular.
I attempted to prepare this flax seeds laddu combined with other healthy seeds and nuts and the benefits are enormous. It’s not easy to get a bundle of all nutrients in one, but this laddu gets them all together. Including this laddu as part of lunch box is not only healthy but also delicious.
Did you know?
- Regular intake of Flax seeds, walnuts and sesame seeds in the diet helps to lower total cholesterol as well as “bad cholesterol” and increases “good cholesterol” levels in the blood
- Flax seeds and Walnuts are an excellent source of vitamin E, and packed with many important B-complex group of vitamins giving enormous health benefits.
- Sesame seeds are very valuable source of dietary proteins with fine quality amino acids which helps in reducing the triglycerides levels
- Pistachios are delicious tree nuts and are excellent source of antioxidants. Including Pistachios in regular diet prevents coronary artery disease and strokes by favoring healthy blood lipid profile.
- Dried figs are excellent sources of minerals like calcium, minerals, vitamins and antioxidants. Fig helps lower blood sugar levels and control blood-glucose levels in type-II diabetes mellitus (Adult onset) condition.
The benefits are endless if you include these healthy nuts and seeds in regular diet. One laddu per day especially for children and people having high cholesterol or triglycerides level will be quite beneficial. For elderly people the dates and sugar quantity can be altered to suit their health conditions.
Dry roast the flax seeds & sesame separately. Coarsely powder the roasted flax seeds & sesame first. Next coarsely powder the dry roasted dry nuts (walnuts, pistachios and almonds).
Chop the dates, dry figs and coarsely powder/fine chop them together in a food processor or chopper.
In a pan add 2 tsps of ghee and coarsely powdered dry figs and dates. After a minute add brown sugar or jaggery and mix them well.
To this mixture add ½ cup water and let this cook to get a syrup consistency.
Once this thickens add the powdered mix of flax seeds, sesame and dry nuts and mix it well. Turn off the flame and add cardamom powder for flavor and little honey if desired.
Once this slightly cools down take the mixture in hand and roll into round laddus and store it in an air tight container.
Preparation and cooking time 30 mins
Ingredients for Roasting
|Flax seeds (Agase beeja)||½ cup|
|Sesame seeds||½ cup|
|Walnuts (akhrot)||¼ cup|
|Almonds (badam)||¼ cup|
Ingredients to make flax seeds and dry fruits laddu/Unde
|Coarsely powdered mix of flax seeds, sesame seeds, dry nuts powder|
|Dried fig (Anjeer)||4-5|
|Brown sugar or powdered jiggery||3-4 tsps|
|Ghee (clarified butter)||2 tsps|
|Cardamom powder||¾ – 1 tsp|
|Honey||2 tsp (optional)|
- It is recommended to wash the flax seeds first to remove any dust or small particles of dust if any. Dry the flax seeds on a dry cloth for few hours.
- Dry roast the flax seeds and sesame seeds separately. (Note – Flax seeds have to be roasted till they pop and crack well)
- Similarly dry roast Almonds, Pistachios, and Walnuts.
- Roughly chop the dried figs and dates.
- Now coarsely powder the flax seeds and sesame together.
- Similarly powder the roasted dry nuts.
- Lastly coaresely powder/fine chop the chopped dates and dry figs.
- In a pan add ghee and add the coarsely powdered dates and figs.
- Mix them well. After a minute add brown sugar or the powdered jaggery and give it a mix.
- Add ½ cup water just to get a syrup consistency to bind all the powders.
- Once the syrups starts to thicken add the powdered mix of seeds and dry nuts.
- Give a mix and swtich of the flame. Allow this to slightly cool and add cardomom powder for flavor. Honey can be added for extra sweetness at this point of time.
- Mix them well and take this mixture in one hand and press it to start giving the shape of laddu’s or any desired shapes.
- Enjoy this wonderfully healthy bite of laddu filled with rich nutrient values
- If you want to avoid sugar or jaggery, add honey for sweetness and also for binding the laddu’s (do not cook honey just add at the end when mixture is cooled)
- I have tried to use dry nuts which are healthy and have benefits of consuming regularly, however there can be other dry fruits like cashews which can be included
- If the powder is not moist enough the laddu’s might crack, in that case the powder can be consumed directly
- I would recommend to store these laddu’s for a maximum of a week and it’s better to prepare fresh ones whenever required